Lemon Pesto Dip with Red Pepper and Cherry Tomatoes
- Mitch Mandell
A touch of lemon adds sprightly flavor and helps keep this dip bright green for a couple of days. The dip clings nicely to red pepper strips, currant or cherry tomatoes on a toothpicks, and other vegetables. Or spread it on your favorite crackers.
Makes 1 cup dip, 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons soft silken tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 3/4" strips
- 1 pint red currant or small cherry tomatoes
- Pulse the basil and spinach in a mini food processor until finely chopped. Add the nuts and cheese. Whirl until the nuts are finely chopped. Add the tofu, salt, and pepper. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil. Add the lemon zest, and whirl to blend. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- To serve, scoop the pesto into a serving bowl. Set the bowl in the center of a plate and arrange the pepper strips and tomatoes around it. Provide toothpicks so the tomatoes can be neatly dipped.
Copyright© 2008 Dana Jacobi, The Essential Best Foods Cookbook